Things I Use
Home | Lethrys Upscale | My Setup | Q&A Archive | RSS
I prioritize privacy and user freedom, so it goes without saying that I use mostly free software.
- OS: Fedora Linux
- Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma
- Display protocol: X11 - Wayland was unstable for some things
- Audio server: PipeWire - I got it working somehow, so I'm not touching it again
- Browser: Firefox w/ uBlock Origin and arkenfox user.js w/ tweaks - otherwise Tor when in doubt
- Search engine: Searx - Pick an instance or host your own - I have my own at SearXNG - Lethrys.
- Notes: Joplin - Using an old version. Don't even like it all that much. Should probably move to something else.
- Image editor: GIMP
- Digital art: Krita
- Spriting: Pixelformer - not free software, but it's minimalist and what I'm used to
- Image viewer: feh w/ configs for more sensible defaults (also borderless :O )
- Video player: mpv, with youtube-dl symlinked to yt-dlp
- Screen recorder: OBS Studio - Not perfect, but I don't use it often enough for it to matter
- Audio editor: audacity-freeworld (AKA ffmpeg support)
- RSS feeder: Newsboat w/ configs for arrow keys & WASD, and a macro for opening video links in mpv
- Torrent client: qBittorrent w/ network interface bound and port-forwarded to Mullvad - for Linux ISOs, of course
- VPN: Mullvad - here are 10 reasons why
- Text editor, music player, terminal, etc.: KDE defaults
- Discord client:
Powercord - disables telemetry Reached EOL. I now use Brave, as it allows for screenshare audio to work on Linux while being privacy-focused.
- Minecraft launcher: MultiMC - It would be crazy if you moved the first M four characters ahead...
- Windows applications: Wine Staging - For the few Windows apps I do use
All of these are cross-platform, so I can add individual games directly to my start menu with
- NES: Mesen2 - Development has finally continued, and configs now save properly on Linux - Nestopia UE is what I used before
- SNES: bsnes-hd - has integer scaling, bsnes-mt is obsolete
- N64: Rosalie's M64+ GUI - Project64 might be a better option for Windows
- PSX: DuckStation - quite robust for a newer emulator
- GB/GBC/GBA: mGBA
- NDS: melonDS - your DeSmuMe replacement
- GCN/Wii: Dolphin - no contest
- 3DS: Citra -
no contest I've been getting frequent crashes and it's become basically unusable. I don't know how to fix it.
- Wii U: Cemu - now open-source!
- Switch: yuzu - haven't tried Ryujinx
- GalacticToys.com - These are some BALLER prices, use "YSG10" for 10% off, also they frequently have rare kits like clear colors
- HobbyLink Japan - Selection is usually low, but prices are great and shipping is fast but expensive
- Newtype - Good stock, good prices, free shipping for >$99 orders, 1-5 days (though it took over a week for me)
- Gunnzo - Good stock, slight markup, free shipping for >$150 orders
- USAGundamStore - OK stock, if you're in the east coast they ZOOM the order to you, but they axed all their coupon codes, so that's kinda cringe
- CanadianGundam - use "gunplanetwork" or "Reddit10" for 10% off, some markup
- Lunar Toy Store - Just discovered this one, but it seems legit
- Evan Designs - for LEDs
- Amazon - If you're ordering anything from Amazon, you're doing it wrong.
- ebay - only for peripherals
I'm working on making RSS Bridges for each of these sites so I or anyone else can get notified whenever they get new stock. For now, I have a nice little system where I have a folder of bookmarks for categories RG through PG on each of these sites, and I can open them all at once in a new window and then just cycle through them with Ctrl-W until I reach the end.
I also love the FMHY wiki - I can't tell you what it is or what it stands for, or that you can append .tk or .cf to that set of letters to find out, but check it out!
Anything I should or shouldn't have? Send me a comment on the homepage!