Things I Use
Home | Lethrys Upscale | My Setup | Q&A Archive | SearXNG | RSS
I prioritize privacy and user freedom, so it goes without saying that I use mostly free software.
- OS: Fedora Linux
- Desktop Environment: KDE Plasma
- Display protocol: X11 - Wayland was unstable for some things
- Audio server: PipeWire - I got it working somehow, so I'm not touching it again
- Browser: Firefox w/ uBlock Origin and arkenfox user.js w/ tweaks - otherwise Tor when in doubt
- Search engine: SearXNG - Pick an instance or host your own - I have my own at SearXNG - Lethrys.
- Image editor: GIMP
- Digital art: Krita
- Spriting: Pixelformer - not free software, but it's minimalist and what I'm used to
- Image viewer: feh w/ configs for more sensible defaults (also borderless :O )
- Video player: mpv, with youtube-dl symlinked to yt-dlp, and integrated with SponsorBlock
- Screen recorder: OBS Studio - Not perfect, but I don't use it often enough for it to matter
- Audio editor: audacity-freeworld (AKA ffmpeg support)
- RSS feeder: Newsboat w/ configs for arrow keys & WASD, and a macro for opening video links in mpv
- Torrent client: qBittorrent w/ network interface bound and
port-forwarded to Mullvad - for Linux ISOs, of course
Mullvad - here are 10 reasons why removed port forwarding lol
- Text editor, music player, terminal, etc.: KDE defaults
- Discord client: Brave, as it allows for screenshare audio to work on Linux while being privacy-focused.
- Minecraft launcher: MultiMC - It would be crazy if you moved the first M four characters ahead...
- Windows applications: Wine Staging - For Pixelformer and Cave Story
All of these are cross-platform, so I can add individual games directly to my start menu with
I have somewhat specific scaling preferences that you can read about here.
- NES: Mesen2 - Development has finally continued, and configs now save properly on Linux - Nestopia UE is what I used before
- SNES: bsnes-hd - has integer scaling, bsnes-mt is obsolete
- N64: Rosalie's M64+ GUI - Project64 might be a better option for Windows
- PSX: DuckStation - quite robust for a newer emulator
- GB/GBC/GBA: mGBA
- NDS: melonDS - your DeSmuMe replacement
- GCN/Wii: Dolphin - no contest
- 3DS: Citra -
no contest I've been getting frequent crashes and it's become basically unusable. I don't know how to fix it.
- Wii U: Cemu - now open-source!
- Switch: yuzu - haven't tried Ryujinx
- GalacticToys.com - These are some BALLER prices, use "YSG10" for 10% off, also they frequently have rare kits like clear colors
- Newtype - Good stock, good prices, free shipping for >$99 orders, 1-5 days (though it took over a week for me)
- Gunnzo - Good stock, slight markup,
free shipping for >$150 orders wtf not anymore? But it took literally two days for me, so it's a win.
- USAGundamStore - OK stock, if you're in the east coast they ZOOM the order to you, but they axed all their coupon codes, so that's kinda cringe
- CanadianGundam - use "gunplanetwork" or "Reddit10" for 10% off, some markup
- Lunar Toy Store - Just discovered this one, but it seems legit
- Evan Designs - for LEDs
- Amazon - If you're ordering anything from Amazon, you're doing it wrong.
- ebay - only for peripherals
- HobbyLink Japan - Don't bother unless you absolutely have to. Almost nothing is in immediate stock, and I once waited over a year for an open order for a single item to be filled.
I also love the FMHY wiki - I can't tell you what it is or what it stands for, or that you can append .tk or .cf to that set of letters to find out, but check it out!
I have two computers in current use. One is an Acer Nitro I got in summer of 2020 and installed Fedora KDE on a year later because I was sick of Windows; the other is a ThinkPad T500 I got in May so I could install Libreboot, Artix/LARBS, and some hardware mods.
Anything I should or shouldn't have? Send me a comment on the homepage!
- 💻 Computer 1: Acer Nitro 5 w/ 1TB SSD for Fedora
- 💻 Computer 2: ThinkPad T500 w/ mods outlined on thonkpeasant
- Libreboot 20211122 (thonkpeasant build) - the last version before it started including nonfree code
- 500GB SATA SSD - for Artix
- Quad-core CPU mod using a Core Extreme QX9300, w/ cooling mod
- 8GB RAM (2x4GB 2Rx8)
- 1920x1200 screen mod from a ThinkPad W500
- 2504 Docking Station - brings USB port count to a staggering seven
- 🎧 Headphones: Soundcore LifeTune XR (Discontinued)
- 🎙️ Mic: Razer Sieren Mini Pro
- 🖊️ Tablet: Wacom One for when I get serious, otherwise Wacom Intuos
- 🎮 Controller:
- For casual gaming: Wii U Pro Controller
- For Melee: Wii U GCC adapter & Gamecube Controller w/ following mods:
- 💽 External HDD: 5TB WD easystore for large backups